Here’s our Monday rundown of everything you need to know for the week of Dec. 12-16.
The weather: Albuquerque is expected to get a little colder as Christmas nears. Monday could see some rain during the evening. Tuesday and Friday are both forecasted to have a high of 41.
Here’s what is happening in Albuquerque this week
- There is a Finance and Government Operations meeting from 6-9 p.m. Monday that is open to the public. The meeting will take place via Zoom and the public is asked to sign up to comment on the meeting’s agenda.
- There will be a World Cup watch party both Tuesday and Wednesday at Civic Plaza. Tuesday, Argentina plays Croatia with France and Morocco facing off Thursday. Both matches kick off at noon with the party starting at 11 a.m. each day.
- A virtual public meeting to discuss converting hotels to housing will be held from 5:30-6:30 p.m. Tuesday. This second virtual meeting about this strategy to increase the housing supply and it is open to the public.
- Stories & Music in the Sky, a presentation of award-winning early childhood education programming featuring stories, music, movement and art will be held 9:30 a.m. to noon Wednesday at the Albuquerque Balloon Museum. The event is free for children up to 6-years-old, who will create frames to hold photos of friends and family.
- ABQ Trolley Co. begins its 2022 Trolley of Lights holiday tour Thursday with the first ride beginning at 6 p.m. The tours will be at 6 and 8 p.m. every night from Dec. 15-23. Tickets are $18-28 and can be purchased online soon.
Let’s catch you up on the headlines
- Eisenhower Middle School students donated hundreds of cereal boxes for No-hunger-vember project.
- The New Mexico Ice Wolves lost to Oklahoma, but we captured plenty of photos of all the action.
- APD is fighting retail crime this holiday season.
- “Breaking Bad” has turned a dam in NE Albuquerque into a tourist stop.
- La Cueva’s girls basketball team stunned Volcano Vista and ended the 46-game winning streak of the two-time defending state champion Hawks.
Here’s what we’re working on this week
- We’ll get to know the Tumbleweed Snowman, a staple in Albuquerque during the holiday season.
- Neighborhood Journal will be on the scene and bringing you lots of photos from events at Petroglyph Elementary School and Tony Hillerman Middle School.
- We’ll check in on the first big wrestling tournament of the season as the APS Invite begins Friday.
- Want to enjoy happy hour in your home? We’ll let you know how Casa Cocktails can make that happen.
- If getting in shape is on your list of New Year’s Resolutions, Petroglyph Crossfit might be the place for you.