Several Volcano Vista athletes had a strong showing at the Richard Harper Invitational at Albuquerque Academy over the weekend.
While the boys finished ninth out 15 teams with 26 points and the girls (36 points) were seventh out of 17 teams, several athletes stood out at the prestigious track and field meet.
Among the highlights were:
- Kaitlyn Russell was fifth in the girls 200-meter dash with a time of 26.19 seconds and sixth in the 100-meter hurdles at 17.53
- Treyanna Brown was seventh in the pole vault with a height of 7 feet, 6 inches
- Mariana Marquez was sixth in the girls 400 at 1:03.83
- Angela Korte was third in the 800 run at 2:21.52
- Carysa Marquez was sixth (11:59.75) in the 3,200 and seventh (5:28.19) in the 1,600
- Jaelyn Bates was second in the 300 hurdles at 47.79 and third in the long jump (16-6)
- The four by 200-meter relay team finished third at 1:47.17 and four by 800 team won the event at 10:07.02
- Daniel Campos was the top-performing boy, finishing second in both the discus (140-7) and the shot put (49-3)
- Orion Chavez was fifth in the 800-meter run at 2:02.74
- The sprint medley team (3:47.04) and the four by 800 relay team (8:37.22) each finished third
The next meet is the Albuquerque Metro Championships at Community Stadium on Thursday and Friday.