- Haynes Park in Rio Rancho is hosting a Pooch Plunge Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Pooch Plunge is a day of swimming exclusively for dogs, and is the final activity held at Haynes Pool before closing for the season. All dogs must be current on vaccinations, have a copy of the vaccination records, accompanied by an adult, and have a collar and leash to and from the pool. All dog owners and spectators may go ankle deep in the water only (no swimming). Call 505-892-4499 for more information. Registration will be held at Haynes Pool on Saturday.
- It’s another big sports weekend for Volcano Vista athletes. The undefeated football team faces 2-1 La Cueva at 7 p.m. Friday at Wilson Stadium. The volleyball team plays in the gold bracket of the Metro Championships. VVHS plays Cleveland at 9 p.m. Friday at West Mesa High School. The Hawks will play either Cibola or Eldorado Saturday at 1:30 p.m. or 10:30 a.m. at Cibola. Depending on the results, Volcano Vista will also play a game at either 4:30, 6, 3 or 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Cibola. The boys soccer team is also in action with the Hawks playing at Bosque School t 1 p.m. Saturday.
- Latin dance band Los Domingueros will be performing at the Open Space Visitor Center at 6 p.m. Saturday in the final show of the Sunset Concert season. A multi-talented group of musicians, Los Domingueros takes listeners on a joyride through musical genres, from Ska, Latin dance (which includes salsa, bachata and cumbia), as well as adding a sprinkling of punk, reggae and even thrash styles.
4. The New Mexico State Fair is under way. Hours for the fair are 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, continuing through Sept. 18. The midway opens at 2 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. Saturdays and Sundays. Tickets are $15 for adults, $8 for seniors 65 and older and kids ages 5-12, and children 5 and under are free. Parking is $10 Monday through Thursday and $20 Friday through Sunday. It is located at Expo New Mexico, on the north side of Central Avenue between San Pedro and Louisiana. For more information, visit statefair.exponm.com.
5. Menchie’s will be hosting a fundraiser for the families of the first responders killed in the Metro 2 helicopter crash in July. On Saturday, four locations will participate from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 10. The locations at 11225 Montgomery Blvd. Suite A, 6001 Winter Haven, and 1101 Unser Blvd. will donate 100% of the day’s sales to the four families, while the location at 6500 Holly Ave. will donate 25% of sales to the fundraiser.
6. Albuquerque Fire Rescue will host a 9/11 stair climb and memorial ceremony Sunday at 1 Civic Plaza NW. At 8:46 a.m., firefighters will honor public safety personnel that responded to the Twin Towers on Sept. 1, 2001, by completing the 110-story stair climb in memory of the 343 New York City firefighters that died that day. Following the stair climb, a memorial ceremony will be held at noon to commemorate all victims, survivors and those affected by the 9/11 attacks. Both events are open to the public.
7. Take the dog for a swim this weekend at the Rio Grande Doggy Paddle. From 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, the Department of Animal Welfare and the city’s Aquatics Division are teaming up to host a dog swim day at Rio Grande Outdoor Pool, 1410 Iron Ave. SW. Admission is $5 per dog. For a complete list of rules and regulations for the event or to obtain the liability waiver, click here.