- Bachechi Open Space is hosting a star party from 7-11 p.m. Saturday. The event is free and sponsored by the Bernalillo County Open Space Division and the Albuquerque Astronomical Society. A presentation about celestial bodies will be made before a viewing. Telescopes will be provided.
- It’s another big weekend for Volcano Vista High School athletics. The football team plays in Carlsbad Friday night, but if you don’t want to make the trip down south, head to the APS Soccer Complex. The boys soccer team plays in the championship game at 7:15 p.m. Friday against Albuquerque High. The girls play for fifth place at 7:15 p.m. Thursday against Eldorado. VVHS volleyball (0-1) has two chances to get its first win. First up is a match at Albuquerque High at 6:30 p.m. Friday. Then the Lady Hawks visit defending state champions La Cueva at 2 p.m. Saturday at 2 p.m.
- The Bosque Wild Guides at the Open Space Visitor Center will be hosting the first hike of the year as they discuss the history of flora, fauna and water use as it relates to the Bosque. The guided hike is 8 a.m. to noon Sunday. Space is limited, so call 505-768-4951 for more information and to register.
4. It’s a busy weekend at the ABQ BioPark. The Cactus and Succulent Society of New Mexico will be present for the Cactus and Succulent Show from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday in the Botanic Garden, 2601 Central Ave. NW. The society will have an exhibition of prize-winning plants as wells as presentations and demonstrations. Learn about the plants that work well in Albuquerque landscapes as well as edible plants. Saturday is also International Vulture Awareness Day, and the BioPark will have discovery stations from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. where visitors can learn about vulture preservation. Additionally, make a day of it by stoping by the great ape area to see if you can get a glimpse of Samantha and her baby gorilla, who was born Aug. 10. The zoo announced this week the baby is a girl that has been named Mashika, meaning “born during the rainy season.”
5. The New Mexico Philharmonic will also be busy this weekend with a Friday performance at the ABQ BioPark Botanical Garden and in Rio Rancho. Led by Musical Director Roberto Minczuk, enjoy the works of Sousa, Tchaikovsky, John Williams and more among the flowers at 7 p.m. Friday at the BioPark. Tickets are available here. Or, head over to Rio Rancho Saturday evening for a free concert under the stars at 7 p.m. at Sky Room Campus Park, 3200 Civic Center Circle NE. Bring a blanket and picnic dinner, or food trucks will be available on site. The concert features JMYAC winners Sahid Palacios and Gabriel Higbie. For more information on this performance, click here.
6. The University of New Mexico Lobos football team opens its season against Maine at 6 p.m. Saturday at University Stadium, 1111 University Blvd. SE. Tailgate begins at 3 p.m. For ticket information, click here.
7. Head over to Balloon Fiesta Park Saturday through Monday for the Harvest Wine Festival. The event runs 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily with admission limit to those age 21 and over. The event features the state’s best wineries, food trucks, artisans, a dueling piano show, silent disco, painting classes, mini golf and games, and unlimited wine tasting. For more information or tickets, click here.