- Volcano Vista High School’s football team plays Sandia at 7 p.m. Friday at Wilson Stadium as the Hawks (3-1) look to get back on the winning track after losing to La Cueva last weekend. The VVHS volleyball team has won three straight matches and hopes to make it four in a row Saturday when it hosts Los Lunas at 1 p.m.
- Woof Gang Bakery and Pet-A-Bull have teamed up for an adoption event this weekend. The public is invited to meet the pack and bring home a new member of the family from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday from at Woof Gang Bakery located at 9780 Coors Blvd. NW.
- Texas-based comedian Steven Farmer headlines at stand-up comedy show at Flix Brewhouse at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. Saturday. Austin Silver, a comedian from Los Angeles, is also featured on the show. Click here to buy tickets.
4. Once again, animal lovers are invited to a special adoption event with the Animal Welfare Department. The department, in partnership with Albuquerque Kennel Comrades will mark Best Friend’s Animal Society’s National Adoption Weekend by waiving adoption fees at the Eastside and Westside shelters as well as the Everyday Adoption Center in the PetSmart on Eubank. The fees will be waived Sept. 16-18, and each adoption includes a spay or neuter, a microchip, required vaccinations and on free initial pet visit; dogs will also come with one free dog training class. To view pets available at AWD, click here.
5. “Bands of Enchantment,” a national music television show on PBS, is filming season two in Albuquerque. The city and Visit Albuquerque are partnering to sponsor the season, which will feature 12 established industry acts and up-and-coming musical talent at the Albuquerque Rail Yards Blacksmith Shop, 777 First St. SW. Members of the public are invited to join as audience members. Friday night will feature Red Light Cameras at 8 p.m. with doors opening at 7 p.m. To view the entire slate of bands, dates and times or to register to be an audience member, click here.
6. Albuquerque Film + Music Experience, or AFMX, continues its 10th anniversary celebration through Sunday. The experience will include a wide variety of short and feature narrative and documentary films, music and animated videos from around the world. In addition, the event will host Center Stage Conversations, Master Classes and its first Pitch Panel. All screenings and recorded events will be available online through Nov. 18, 2022. For access to the full schedule, film guide or tickets, click here.
7. The Albuquerque Funny Fiesta is in full swing and continues through Sept. 25. It’s an all-comedy extravaganza featuring stand-up comedians, film, improv troupes, sketch performers and more. For the festival schedule, performers, locations and tickets, click here.
And as a bonus, don’t forget that the New Mexico State Fair continues through Sunday!