- The Red Bull Racing Pit Stop Tour makes a stop in Rio Rancho on Friday. Think you have what it takes to beat the Red Bull Racing pit stop crew? Come on out to the Walmart on Unser from 2-6 p.m. to test your pit stop skills for a chance to win the Ultimate Red Bull Racing Experience. For more information, click here.
- This is a big sports weekend for Volcano Vista High School. The girls and boys soccer teams are competing in the Albuquerque Metro Championships this weekend, and the football team plays its second game of the season on Friday. Girls soccer plays Valley at 4:30 p.m. Friday and La Cueva at 11:15 a.m. Saturday. The boys play La Cueva at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. All soccer games are at the APS Soccer Complex. The football team plays West Mesa at 7 p.m. Friday at Community Stadium.
- The Learning Experience will have its grand opening and open house from 1-4 p.m. Saturday. There will be a ribbon cutting ceremony with Mayor Tim Keller to officially open the new child care facility in the neighborhood. The Learning Experience is located at 4580 Nunzio Ave. There will also be food, games and prizes.
4. Head over to Balloon Fiesta Park Friday for a family-friendly movie night. Movie Mania: The Sky’s the Limit features three movies playing simultaneously on the launch field. In anticipation of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, all the movies are related to space and sky: “Guardians of the Galaxy,” “Spaceballs,” and “UP.” The park opens at 6 p.m. for this free event with the movies starting at dusk. Seating is first-come, first-served. Moviegoers can bring blankets, lawn chairs and personal door or drink items, but no alcohol, glass, sharp or dangerous items or pets — other than service animals — will be allowed.
5. If you’ve been thinking about adopting a pet, this is the weekend to do it. The Animal Welfare Department has more than 800 pets in need of a home and is hosting an adoption event Saturday and Sunday. During the event, the adoption fee will be waived, and all adoptions include a spay or neuter, microchip, required vaccinations and one free initial vet visit. Dogs will also receive one free training class. The event runs from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Eastside Animal Shelter (8920 Lomas Blvd. NE) and the Westside Animal Shelter (11800 Sunset Gardens SW), and the Everyday Adoption Center inside PetSmart at 350 Eubank Blvd. NE. To view animals available for adoption, visit www.cabq.gov/pets.
6. Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship comes to Rio Rancho this weekend. Saturday’s headline fight at the Rio Rancho Events Center is a flyweight world championship bout between the current champion, Christine “Misfit” Free and the undefeated contender, No. 2 Taylor “Killa Bee” Starling. The fight will also be broadcast globally via the new BKFC app. Fights start at 7 p.m. For more information or tickets, visit https://www.rioranchoeventscenter.com/event/bare-knuckle-fighting-championship/
7. The International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 480 is hosting a Film & TV Expo from noon to 5 p.m. Sunday at 8340 Washington Place NE. Learn how films are made, meet technicians working behind the scenes, get discovered by casting directors, enroll in movie school or make connections with one of the film offices. Music, food truck and basecamp tours will also be available at this free event open to all ages. For more information, visit local480.com/2022-film-and-tv-expo.