New Mexico United and the Albuquerque Dukes, two popular teams in Albuquerque history, announced a merchandise collaboration Wednesday to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the creation of the legendary Dukes logo by Dick Moots.
The first Albuquerque Dukes team played in 1915. The team played in different leagues and at different levels on and off until 1962 when the team was dropped as a farm team for Kansas City. In 1963, the Los Angeles Dodgers began what would be a 47-year relationship with the club and named it the Albuquerque Dodgers. The Dukes name was revived in 1972 when the team moved up to Triple-A and Moots created the iconic logo.
The Dukes left Albuquerque in 2000 when the team was sold to a group in Portland but the logo can still consistently be seen around the city, much like New Mexico United merchandise and stickers.
Now the two Albuquerque powers are combining forces to create a unique line to allow fans to show their pride in their city.
“A collaboration between our folks and the folks who are with the Dukes to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Dukes logo being created is pretty cool,” said David Carl, New Mexico United’s Director of Communications and Fan Experience said.
The collaboration will launch in-store at United’s location, and the Dukes’ location – both in Nob Hill – on Black Friday. Doors open at 9 a.m. with specific gear will be available at each location. Carl said that if the merchandise doesn’t sell out this weekend, it will be available to purchase online for Cyber Monday.
The collaboration, which was created by Forty7th Studios, includes:
- A black baseball jersey featuring United’s “Somos Unidos,” and a collab-logo between the two brands. (Available at Dukes Store)
- A white soccer jersey featuring the Dukes’ famous script logo across the front, and an artistic representation of the Sandia Mountains across the bottom. (Available at United Store)
- A raglan t-shirt featuring a black & yellow “United-ified” Dukes logo. (Available at United Store)
- A red & yellow beanie featuring a Dukes/United collab logo (Available at Both Stores)
- A two-sided soccer scarf featuring an updated Dukes logo in United’s black & yellow on one side, and “Somos Unidos” in the Dukes’ red & yellow on the other. (Available at Both Stores)
- Two exclusive, limited edition collab stickers. (Available at Both Stores)
- Additional merchandise to surprise fans. (Available at Dukes Store)
World Cup Watch Party
New Mexico United is hosting a watch party Friday at Sandia Resort & Casino for the United State-England World Cup match.
The party begins at 11:30 a.m. for the match which kicks off at noon.
Carl said he expects over 300 people to attend the party, which will be held in the sports bar at Sandia and the Bien Shur Rooftop Restaurant.