Here’s our Monday rundown of everything you need to know for the week of Nov. 14-18.
The weather: Albuquerque is expected to have mostly sunny skies this week with temperatures in the high 40s. Wednesday could be a little cloudy with a high of 45.
Here’s what is happening in Albuquerque this week
- The New Mexico Ice Wolves play three games this week at Outpost Ice Arena. Thursday they host the Austin Ice Bats at 6:30 p.m. They play Austin again at 1 p.m. Friday, then take on the Corpus Christi Ice Rays at 6:30 p.m.
- “Chocolate: The Exhibition” is open at the New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science. The event will “engage the senses and trace the evolution of chocolate from a small, bitter seed found deep in the rainforest to the continent-spanning delicacy it is today. Learn about the biology of cacao while sitting under a life-sized tree, barter for seeds at a realistic Aztec marketplace, and follow cacao across the Atlantic as it grows into a global commodity.”
- The Department of Senior Affairs third annual Pool Tournament hosted by Los Volcanes Senior Center on Wednesday from 9:15 a.m.-4:30 p.m. The event is free for spectators to attend.
- Vernon’s Speakeasy is hosting “Mixology 102,” an intermediate class that teaches you how to make more advanced cocktails. The class is at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- The NMAA State Football Playoffs are down to the final four in Class 6A. No. 1 Cleveland plays fifth-seeded Volcano Vista at 7 p.m. Friday at Community Stadium. No. 2 La Cueva plays No. 3 Centennial in Las Cruces Saturday at 1 p.m.
Here’s what we’re working on this week
- What are some of the best handymen in the city?
- Discover Albuquerque’s secret garden.
- Fuego 505 has been a hit with guests since opening in August; here’s why.
- It’s almost prep basketball season. What will the defending champions at Volcano Vista High School do for an encore after the boys and girls went undefeated and won state?
- The Salt Cave is opening soon near North Domingo Baca Park.
Let’s catch you up on the headlines
- The New Mexico Press Association awarded the Neighborhood Journal with best news website Saturday.
- La Cueva’s volleyball team won the state championship Saturday to cap an undefeated season.
- Good news for pizza fans in Ventana Ranch, the newest Dion’s location is now open in your neighborhood.
- Police are offering a big reward for information leading to the arrest of the persons who robbed a U.S. Postal Service letter carrier last week.
- The community rallied to raise money for “Mr. Christmas.”