Albuquerque Police Department is launching targeted operations to enforce red light runners due to a recent increase in crashes throughout the city related to the traffic violation.
APD’s Traffic Division pulled data to identify the top 20 intersections throughout the city that have the highest number of crashes due to drivers disregarding traffic signals.
The intersection of Coors and Montano had the third most in the city.
Officers will begin the red-light operations starting Saturday and running through April 28. The Traffic Division to include Motors and DWI will lead the operations, working in conjunction with the Field Services Bureau, the Real Time Crime Center, Air Support and the Prisoner Transport Unit.
Officers will move around the city to the 20 identified hot spots looking to observe violations and will cite drivers.
“Our license plate operations have been incredibly successful in not only keeping our streets safer but identifying violent wanted offenders who’ve we’ve taken into custody,” APD Chief Harold Medina said. “Red light runners cause yet another quality-of-life issue for our community and we are committed to keeping our roadways safe for all of our families.”
Officers will be citing drivers who run red light with 66-07-104 Failure to Obey Traffic Control Devices which holds a fine of $82.00.
Below is a full list of the 20 intersections with the highest crashes due to red light violations ranked in order of incidents:
- Menaul Blvd/Frontage Road North and South
- 2nd Street/Frontage West and East
- Coors/Montano Road N.W.
- Osuna/San Mateo at Frontage Roads North and South
- Avenida Cesar Chavez/Interstate 25
- San Mateo/Montgomery N.E.
- All intersection Frontage Roads under Interstate 25
- Lead Ave./Oak and Locust S.E.
- Coal Ave./Oak and Locust S.E.
- Martin Luther King Jr./Oak and Locust S.E.
- Juan Tabo/Interstate 40 N.E.
- Wyoming/Central S.E.
- Louisiana/Interstate 40 N.E.
- 2nd Street/Mountain Road N.W.
- Tramway/Interstate 40 N.E.
- Coors/Dellayne N.W.
- San Mateo/Lomas N.E.
- Montano/Culture N.E.
- Montano/Pan American Freeway N.E.
- San Mateo/Interstate 40 N.E