Albuquerque Public Schools is sponsoring an essay contest for all students during Hispanic Heritage Month, which runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15.
The theme for the essay is My Heritage/Mi Herencia.
Students are asked to reflect on how their heritage has made them they you are, what makes up “their heritage, how does it help them be more courageous, resilient, passionate, strong and empathetic” and other topics.
The essay can be written in English or Spanish in Microsoft Word or PDF; essays must include a cover sheet.
The requirements for the essay are:
- Elementary school: maximum of one page (one side) typed or hand-written, double-spaced.
- Middle school: maximum of 500 words typed or hand-written, double-spaced, and 12-point font.
- High school: maximum of 1,000 words typed, double-spaced, and 12-point font.
Essays will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Answering the questions posed: 50 points
- Clarity and effectiveness in expressing the theme: 30 points
- Grammar, spelling and composition: 20 points
Entries will be accepted until 5 p.m. Sep. 30th, 2022.
Students should send their essay and cover sheet to the Office of Equity and Engagement via email at Armando.Bustamante@aps.edu. Please submit as Microsoft Word or PDF attachment.
The winners will be announced during the Hispanic and Latinx Heritage Month celebration in October.