La Cueva High School’s speech and debate team is in Louisville, Kentucky, competing in the 2022 National Speech & Debate Tournament. The tournament takes place June 12-17.
Meet the team representing LCHS in Louisville
The following students and team coach, pictured above from left to right, are representing La Cueva High School in the 2022 National Speech & Debate Tournament in Louisville:
• Thomas Chung, Rising Senior, Co-President Elect, competing in Policy Debate with partner Erica Ho.
• Erica Ho, Rising Senior, 2-time National Competitor, Co-President Elect & Policy team Captain, competing in Policy Debate with partner Thomas Chung.
• Jen Pecasting, Coach.
• Matt Pecasting, 2022 graduate, 4-time National Competitor, Co-President and Speech team Captain, competing in Humorous Interpretation.
• Allie Vice, Rising Senior, Public Forum Captain Elect, competing in Public Forum Debate with partner Harlan Bandy.
• Harlan Bandy, Rising Senior, competing in Public Forum Debate with partner Allie Vice.
2022 National Speech & Debate Tournament events
Students can compete in 24 different events, including interpretation, public address and debate events. Students signed up for the House or Senate Congressional Debate will participate in a mock U.S. Congress with topics written and selected by students. Students can also compete in a two-versus-two policy, public forum or world schools debates.
Students competing in the public address events will write a speech that answers a question, shares a belief, persuades an audience or educates the listener on different topics. For interpretation events, students will adapt and perform their perspective of a piece of literature. Interpretation events include duo, humorous, dramatic and oral interpretation of different types of literature.
According to the National Speech & Debate Association, La Cueva is ranked No. 3 out of 14 schools in New Mexico. Cottonwood Classical Prep is ranked No. 1 in the state, and Albuquerque Academy No. 2.
For more information on the national tournament, visit speechanddebate.org/national-tournament-2022.